Dear Itasca District 10 Families,
As we approach the holiday season, it is both a time of celebration and reflection. The New Year is a point in time where we typically reflect on the past and set goals for the future. In serving here for the last eighteen months, I am proud of the work we have collectively accomplished. Itasca’s School Board of Education has set five key district goals. Please review some of the hi-lights towards meeting these goals in this short time:
- The district is committed to a strong fine arts, music and athletics program that supports holistic learning for our children.
- We have started a new 1:1 technology pilot at Peacock and anticipate including Franzen and Benson over the next few years.
- We have updated the math curriculum at Peacock Middle School and tripled the number of students taking high school level algebra.
- New literacy programs have been implemented at Benson and Franzen.
- Peacock remains the highest performing feeder district school to Lake Park High School by standardized test scores across all middle schools in Medinah, Bloomingdale, Roselle and Keeneyville.
- A new special education design has added more teaching staff to provide a wider range of supports for our diverse learners.
- A STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) elective for Peacock that has strengthened experiential and applied learning for our students.
- We have a new three-year contract with the Itasca Teachers Association that provides both well-deserved raises and protects the district’s long-term financial stability.
- The district earned the highest rating in the last five years with the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) School District Financial Profile.
- Itasca School District Board of Education has worked with administration to set a budget philosophy that will address student needs and protect the long-term stability of the district.
- The district actively collaborates with key parent leadership groups, including the Itasca Parent Teacher Organization, the D10 Education Foundation and the Itasca Music Boosters. Thank you all for your incredible support!
- A new Community Advisory Team of key community leaders meets routinely to advise the district and help us to improve.
- A new Parent Advisory Team for our diverse learners has begun. Parents will help advise the district on the quality of services for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan.
- The new and improved district website will launch December 19, 2016. You may visit the new website at www.itasca10.org
Student Safety and Citizenship:
- We have worked extensively with the Itasca Police Department and Fire Department regarding safety drills. Teachers receive significant training with intruder intervention and disaster drills.
- As a new initiative for our district, all students completed over 15 weeks of training with digital citizenship.
- For the first time, in cooperation with teacher leadership, we have implemented a new and improved professional teacher observation and evaluation system.
- There is an increased commitment and investment to professional development and learning for our educators. Routinely, teachers both teach one another and participate in external workshops. When we support a strong culture of professional learning, our students will truly benefit.
These celebrations have been made possible with strong leadership from our Board of Education, the commitment of our educators and from the support that our parents provide to the schools. Itasca School District 10 teachers care for their students and will continue to assure that their unique gifts and talents are developed. As educators, we are collectively inspired by your children to be even better. On behalf of all of our staff, thank you for your support! It is that very support that helps define how special Itasca truly is. In serving as superintendent, I am passionate about us improving even more as a district. I am confident that Itasca District 10’s future is bright and one that brings much promise to the New Year. I look forward to serving you and I am available at 630-773-1232 extension 1536 should you have any questions or concerns. I wish all of our families a joyous holiday season and a relaxing winter break.
Once again, thank you for your support,
Superintendent, Itasca 10